I have this wonderful book that I read from time to time. It has many wonderful advices for people who need to just deal with life and its ups and downs. There is one selection that can be applied instantly titled, "how to achieve a happy life".
I am basically restating everything from the book here:
"An American psychologist said: Living a happy life is a fine art which entails ten things:
1. Do a work that you love. If you cannot do that, then find a hobby that you love and do it in your spare time and reinforce it.
2. Take care of your health for it is the spirit of happiness. This means being moderate in eating and drinking, exercising regularly and avoiding bad habits.
3. Have a goal in life, for this will give you motivation and energy.
4. Take life as it comes, and accept the bitter and the sweet.
5. Live in the present, with no regret for the past and no anxiety about tomorrow that has not yet come.
6. Think hard about any action or decision, and do not blame anyone else for your decision or its consequences.
7. Look at those who are worse off than you.
8. Have the habit of smiling and being cheerful, and keep company with optimistic people.
9. Strive to make others happy so that you may benefit from the atmosphere of happiness.
10. Make the most of occasions of happiness and joy, and regard them as necessary to renew your own happiness.